Good morning Freedom Hill families,
I hope you are well as we enter August! As you have undoubtedly heard, the Fairfax County School Board recently supported Dr. Brabrand’s revised recommendation that we begin the 2020-21 school year with virtual learning for all students. The online school year will begin, as scheduled, on September 8. I look forward to spending the month of August engaged with our staff and building our capacity to reach each of our wonderful students through the high quality instruction and the caring relationships upon which our school's reputation is built.
I'd like to share a few brief updates below, and I invite you to attend a brief Q&A session with Mr. Kopacz, the PTA, and I on August 4th. You can find more information and submit a question in the PTA section below. As always, please reach out with any additional questions you may have as we draw closer to the beginning of school.
- We expect that class placements will be completed by mid-August and shared with you through ParentVue. All students will attend virtually with a Freedom Hill teacher and peers. We value the partnership between parents, teachers, and our students. Our teachers will be reaching out to set up times to meet with students and family members virtually, on an individual basis, before school begins. Families of special education students will also be contacted by their new case manager by the end of August to discuss learning needs during virtual learning. Read more Special Education updates here.
- Elementary students will receive real-time, interactive instruction Tuesday through Friday. The elementary day will include additional small group instruction, intervention supports, and independent learning activities assigned to students. Significant investment in new digital resources will provide a more personalized approach to learning in mathematics and language arts.
- Our bell schedule will revert to our normal schedule from last year - students will attend Tuesday - Friday from 9:20 - 4:05. A sample daily schedule has been crated by the county and can be viewed here. We are in the process of creating the new FH-specific master schedule for each grade level, and look forward to sharing these by mid-August to assist with your family's preparations.
- All Freedom Hill students will have the opportunity to check out a laptop this year if needed. If you were using an iPad or similar device in the spring to connect, we encourage you to check out a laptop. Laptops will be distributed in late August with more information and dates forthcoming. MIFI devices are also available for families who require internet access.
- We are awaiting further information from the county government on the operational status of SACC. We expect an update around August 7.
- We encourage you to follow us on Twitter at @FreedomHillES. We are currently showcasing biographies and pictures of our new teaching staff.
Wishing you a wonderful, albeit likely rainy, week! Be safe. I look forward to sharing additional updates in the coming weeks.
Nicholas Zapadka, PrincipalHave a Freedom Hill computer?
FCPS plans to offer a device to any student that needs one to access virtual learning. If you have a child entering fifth or 6th grade and has a Freedom Hill laptop, we will be collecting it as new devices will be offered to rising 5th and 6th graders. We are actively preparing devices for families that indicated their need for a device in the Back to School Survey. If you have questions about your child’s device, please email Mr. Fenton at CEFenton@fcps.edu. Information regarding distribution of new devices will be shared in the coming weeks.Free School Physicals for Uninsured Students
Pre-kindergarten through 6th grade~ For NEW FCPS Students
~To ensure social distancing, just the child and one parent should attend. ~Masks are required for all participants.
~Appointments required! Call today! 703-698-2550
Dates: August 20th and August 27th
Where: Inova Cares Clinic for Children, 6400 Arlington Blvd. Ste 200, Falls Church, VA 22042From The PTA
Well we've had a bunch of ups and downs in all the decisions leading up to the beginning of school. Your PTA has been meeting over the summer planning as best we can for this year and thinking creatively when it comes to activities, budget and where we can make the most impact. In the meantime, Dr. Z wanted to host and open Q&A for parents to connect with them. And we have a couple updates from Mr. Curtis and on KG Meet and Greets below. Be sure to stay connected on the Freedom Hill ES Community group on Facebook!
Q&A WITH DR. Z ON AUG. 4 AT 7:30PM Join Dr. Z on Tuesday, August 4th at 7:30pm for an update on Return to Learn and an Open Q&A session. You can submit questions for him ahead of time here. Here's where you can join us: Zoom Link for Tue., Aug. 4 at 7:30 pm or call 877 853 5257 with Meeting ID: 920 7607 2609.
KG PARENT MEET-UP AUG. 8, 10AM Our next and last KG Meet & Greet Saturday, Aug. 8th at 10am! Come and ask questions and get to know one another. Drop in and say hello and meet some friends. Click the link for the zoom meeting Saturday, Aug. 8th, 10am or call 877 853 5257 with Meeting ID: 922 4545 9943.
READING WITH MR. FENTON Mr. Fenton, our IT specialist, is reading over the summer with the students. Listen to exciting books with stories from Sideways School, Wizards of Once, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and many more!
Sessions will be held twice per week. (Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 11AM) One is for K-3, and another is for 4-6, where he and some special guests will read a variety of books. If your student is interested, fill out the form here to be invited into the Blackboard Collaborate session. Q's? Contact Mr. Fenton.
Questions? Contact our Freedom Hill PTA President, Sahar Javadi at firstname.lastname@example.org